1800 Cabrillo Memorial Dr
San Diego, CA 92106
Phone number (619) 557-5450
National Monument is located at the southern tip of the Point Loma Peninsula in
San Diego, California. It commemorates the landing of Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo
at San Diego Bay on September 28, 1542. This event marked the first time that a
European expedition had set foot on what later became the West Coast of the
United States. The site was designated as California Historical Landmark #56 in
1932. As with all historical units of the National Park Service, Cabrillo was
listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
On October 14, 1913, by presidential proclamation, Woodrow Wilson reserved 0.5 acres (2,000 m2) of Fort Rosecrans for "The Order of Panama ... to construct a heroic statue of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo." By 1926 no statue had been placed and the Order of Panama was defunct, so Calvin Coolidge authorized the Native Sons of the Golden West to erect a suitable monument, but they were also unable to carry out the commission.
A major renovation of the half-acre monument was undertaken in 1935; the deteriorating lighthouse was refurbished, a new road to the monument was built, and the Portuguese ambassador to the United States presented a bronze plaque, honoring Cabrillo as a "distinguished Portuguese navigator in the service of Spain" who made "the first Alta California landfall".
Anza Borrego Desert
Cuyamaca State Park