2012 info: The event takes place on Thursday, November 1 from 1 to 8pm and Friday, November 2 from 11am to 8pm.
Día de los Muertos is a very special time, when once a year, the spirits of loved ones who have died return to earth to celebrate this holiday with friends and family.
Over fifty local businesses, museums, and shops will create traditional Día de los Muertos altars that make up the free Tour of the Altars that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Many of the altars will honor the historic figures from Old Town's past, and others will reflect more current stories meaningful to that place of business
The procession is one night only on November 2. It will begin at 6pm at the plaza in Old Town San Diego State Historic Park. The procession will then proceed from the plaza down San Diego Avenue to El Campo Santo cemetery where guests will pay their respects, view the public altar and add to it if desired, and musicians will be playing.
Participants can pick up their candles at several locations,
seen on the map at the Old Town Market and the Whaley House.
Afterwards, visitors will want to continue viewing any altars they may have missed and visit establishments offering after hours food and drink.
In a nutshell:
- The Tour of Altars includes over 50 altars of all types, both traditional and contemporary.
- A public altar in El Campo cemetery where visitors are encouraged to add their mementos, such as photos and written tributes to loved ones, along with brightly colored yellow and orange marigolds.
- Candlelight procession from Old Town San Diego State Historic Park to El Campo cemetery
- (6pm, Friday, November 2 only)
- Restaurants will provide special menus and signature Día de los Muertos cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks along with featuring their own altars.
- Free and fee-based activities, such as sugar skull decorating, mask making, flower making, traditional face painting, and more!
- Free live music, dancing and other performances.
- Artist exhibitions at participating sites.
Anza Borrego Desert
Cuyamaca State Park