Contact

3963 Conde Street
San Diego, CA 92110

Phone: (619) 297-7511
32.751618, -117.194241

Dog-Friendly: No    Kid-Friendly: Yes

HOURS: Sat & Sun- 12-4pm

Website

*NOTE: You can visit this museum for free with a Whaley House admission.  Please ask front desk for tour**

The Old Adobe Chapel is one of the many historic features that can be visited in Old Town. The site was originally the home of San Diego's first coroner, John Brown, but was later purchased by Don José Antonio Agüirre and turned into a Catholic chapel.

On November 21, 1858, it was dedicated as the Church of Immaculate Conception and later enclosed by weatherboarding.  One of the most interesting facts about this chapel is that Agüirre’ s tomb is actually inside, located in the small right wing.

After having been bulldozed for street realignment in the 1930s, the WPA rebuilt the adobe chapel in 1937. Much of the interior artifacts from the original chapel have been retained, including the tabernacle, the altar with its beautiful marbleized finish, some woodwork including pews and doors, and José Aguirre's tombstone is laid in the floor.

It is also said to be the setting of fictional wedding of Ramona in the novel of the same name by Helen Hunt Jackson.

Directions & Parking: The Adobe Chapel is located at 3963 Conde Street. A small number of 2-hour unmetered parking spaces are available on the streets of Old Town. Free all-day parking is available in large public parking lots on Juan Street between Harney and Twiggs Streets.

old adobe chapel

 

Subscribe to our E-mail Newsletter

0.0

0 Reviews

Rating 0
Overall Rating 0
Difficulty Finding 0

0 Reviews

Write a Review

Contact info

3963 Conde St, San Diego, CA 92110, USA

Sponsored Ad