Phone: (619) 234-9153
Dog-Friendly: No Kid-Friendly: Yes
HOURS: 9am-9pm daily
Admission: For the (current) price of $15 you get to explore 11 historic ships and for an additional small fee (currently $3) you can also take a guided 45-minute boat tour of the bay area. It was definitely worth the price!
The deepest diving submarine in the world, Dolphin is responsible for many "firsts", but is not primarily associated with any specific historic event or time frame during her nearly forty years of service. Rather, it is her unique, extreme deep-diving capability that sets her apart and has continually placed the vessel at the forefront of undersea naval research during her entire career. In November 1968, she set a depth record for operating submarines that still stands. In August 1969, she launched a torpedo from the deepest depth that one has ever been fired.
Specific stories of her various achievements and contributions include:
* Development of a Laser Imaging system of photographic clarity
* Development of an Extreme Low Frequency (ELF) antenna for TRIDENT
* Evaluation of various non-acoustic ASW techniques
* Evaluation of various low probability of interception active sonars
* First submarine launch of a MOSS system
* First successful submarine test of BQS-15 sonar system
* Development of highly accurate (10 cm) towed body position monitoring system deepest launching of a torpedo
* Development of a new Obstacle Avoidance Sonar system
* Development of a highly accurate target management system
* Evaluation of a possible "fifth force of nature"
* First successful submarine-to-aircraft optical communications
* First successful submarine-to-aircraft two-way laser communication